Joe Robaina is the Founder and Developer of the American Cane Self Defense (ACSD) system and a pioneer of the Cane arts and culture.
He is most responsible for taking the Cane from the “traditional” martial arts arena to its’ current broad generational appeal and defining it’s present day culture.
With an International following and nearly 3 decades of teaching and promoting Cane Self Defense, Robaina’s role has been instrumental in two main areas:
- His contribution in different components of the American Cane Self Defense Arts: Self Defense:
- The Powershot Template,
- Cane Empty Hand Translations,
- Cane versus Weapons,
- Cane Ground Grappling,
- Reality based scenarios and drills with an evaluation scale for professional instructors.
- He is the first to document these in great detail on video and print. Robaina is also known as the main proponent of the “heavy” thumper type American Cane to go with his Powershot Template.
- He is the Founder of the popular American Cane Boxing Curriculum.
- He is the developer of the premiere air craft grade aluminum Robaina Raven Self Defense Cane.
- His vision for a new generation of HYBRID SPINNER/SELF DEFENSE Cane (“Light with Bite”) produced the ACSD Crimson Spinner XL Cane. The first of its’ kind in the industry.
- Robaina is the Founder of CaneFlow & “Freestyling” as we know it today: Robaina introduced most Cane handling maneuverability skill sets and ALL Advanced and Master CaneFlow curriculums including shoulder, head, and waist loops and catches, amongst others and is well known for his two Cane skill sets.
- In particular, he is the first to document simultaneous ambidextrous multi-skill sets with full length double canes and mini freestyle canes.
- He is the developer of the unique drills and methods for this type of Cane free-styling including 2-person Cane Play.
- Robaina integrated and educates professionals on the role of CaneFlow and the science of Brain Training for Functional Aging.
- He is the author of most of the American Cane lingo and alphabet used today.
- He used his background as a degreed exercise physiologist and Doctor of Naturopathy to develop the Cane Fit exercise system and Cane Healing methods unique to the ACSD system.
- He has introduced the mainstream masses, from corporations such as Royal Carribean and MTV to industries like Real Estate and Massage Therapy to the invaluable use of the Cane as an improvisational self defense tool. His personal students range from government consultants and world class protection specialists to safety minded civilians.
Today via his live training’s, online Cane Self Defense University, and Remote Caner Private Coaching, the Cane is rapidly being recognized as the most practical and effective self defense tool while turning injuries to victories for those using the Cane as a medical aid. Few would argue, no one is most responsible for making the Cane a Fun and “Cool” sport and social activity where anyone regardless of age or physical ability has a home to Belong, Believe, and Achieve.